Caring For Your Jewellery
Jewellery isn’t just for Christmas, a birthday or anniversary. It’s for life. And even if bought for a special occasion, it should be worn every day and with pride. That’s why we’re here: to help you find the perfect piece and give you the confidence to wear it and care for it for the years that follow.
Your jewellery will give you years of happiness if it is looked after. It is recommended that once a year your jewellery is inspected and cleaned professionally but most cleaning you can undertake yourself. Here are some tips that might help you care for your jewellery.
10 things you should know about jewellery care - from our central London jewellery workshop in Hatton Garden
- Brush it gently with a soft toothbrush in a bowl of warm, liquid detergent suds. Then place the item in a wire strainer and rinse it thoroughly under warm water, before patting it dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Do not get threaded pearls or beaded jewellery wet. And only wet antique jewellery following specialist advice.
- Silver dip type cleaners should only be used to clean silver jewellery. These must be rinsed and dried thoroughly afterwards as described above. Gold, platinum and gemset jewellery can be cleaned using specialist jewellery cleaners, as appropriate.
- Soap, cosmetics, cooking grease, and natural skin oils can dull any jewellery and should be avoided.
- A diamond can be chipped by a hard blow along its grain and abrasive chemicals and household cleaners can damage your jewellery so avoid wearing inappropriate jewellery when doing heavy manual work.
- When dressing apply make-up and hairspray before putting your jewellery on.
- Items of jewellery should be stored carefully and separately as diamonds can scratch each other, as well as other stones and metals. Keep any chains fastened to stop them getting tangled up in your jewellery box and keep everything out of direct sunlight, away from heating vents and window sills.
- If you are travelling, keep your jewellery in a soft, cloth pouch. As with daily storage diamonds should be kept in a separate pouch to avoid damaging other items.
- Make sure you have a detailed and up-to-date valuation for your jewellery as under-valuation is a continual problem in cases where an insurance claim for loss is made.
- If you ever have any questions about caring for your jewellery, about repairs or cleaning, just ask us. That’s what we’re here for. Speak to our Jewellery specialist.
Jewellery cleaning service
While most jewellery can be cleaned at home, some pieces are especially delicate or require a specialist’s touch. We think all jewellery benefits from being cleaned and inspected professionally at least once a year and our team can help keep yours as beautiful as the first day you wore it. Please contact your nearest showroom to make an appointment.
Our 10-Year Diamond Promise
We want to keep your diamond looking as good as you do (flattery gets you everywhere). That’s why every diamond we sell comes with a 10-Year Diamond Promise and our guarantee that we’ll inspect and clean it once a year for the next decade.