Caring For Your Pearls
Naturally beautiful, pearls are an organic compound and more delicate than most jewellery. The layers of nacre are very soft but if looked after properly, will stay radiant for years to come. Here are some helpful tips on how to enjoy and care for your pearls.
Our five pearls of wisdom - from our central London jewellery workshop in Hatton Garden
- Pearls are an organic gemstone and can be easily dulled or even eaten away by chemicals and alcohol. To avoid harmful contact with make-up, hair products and perfume, think of them like Her Majesty’s tiara and add them to your outfit as the finishing touch.
- However light, perspiration can harm your pearls. But don’t let that stop you from wearing them as often as you like, just make sure you wipe them with a soft cloth before putting them away.
- Though naturally cohesive and shock-resistant, it is still possible to scratch your pearls should they come in contact with sharp objects or other gemstones. When you’re not wearing them, carefully store your pearls separately. And we know no stylish wardrobe is complete without pearls, so keep yours in a separate pouch to your other jewellery to protect them.
- Storing your pearls in a safety deposit box or safe for long periods of time can cause the natural gemstones to dehydrate. The best way to protect them is to wear them regularly (isn’t life tough?).
- We recommend you restring pearls every couple of years, especially if they’re worn frequently. Our restringing service is often undertaken by our own jewellery craftsmen, some of which work within our showrooms. Any work undertaken by our jewellery craftsmen comes with a 12 month guarantee.
If you’d like to make an appointment to restring your pearls or have an enquiry about pearl care, please contact your nearest showroom.